Shop Contact Lenses
- Shop Gift Cards
- Special Offers
Tips & AdviceTips & Advice
- Glasses Guide
- Eyewear Protecion Plan
- Glasses Brands
- Type of Glasses
- Universal Fit
- Prescription Lenses
- Caring for Glasses
- Sunglasses Guide
- Sunglasses Brands
- Caring for Sunglasses
- UV Eye Protection
- Prescription Sun Lenses
- Contact Lenses Guide
- Are Contact Lenses for Me?
- Types of Contact Lenses
- Tips for Contact Lenses
- OPSM Daily Disposable Contact Lenses
Eye Strain Symptoms
WHAT IS DIGITAL EYE STRAIN?
Eye strain is the physical discomfort felt after two or more hours in front of a digital screen and is associated with staring at a close to mid-range fixed distance.
WHAT CAUSES DIGITAL EYE STRAIN?
On average, people of working age in Australia now spend over 6 hours a day staring at screens*, causing our eyes to look at a fixed distance for long periods of time putting immense strain on your eye muscles. Spending significant amounts of time staring at screens also causes our blink rates to reduce, resulting in eye irritation.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DIGITAL EYE STRAIN?
Overseas studies have shown that up to 90% of computer users (and other screens) suffer visual symptoms^, these include:
- Tired eyes: A deficiency of tears. The main symptom is usually a scratchy or sandy feeling as if something is in the eye.
- Dry eyes: When eyes feel achy, weak, or heavy due to intense use.
- Headaches: A continuous pain in the head.
- Eye irritation (itchy and burning): Mild eye redness, itching, or tearing.
- Blurred vision: Refers to a lack of sharpness of vision resulting in the inability to see fine detail.
HOW DO YOU REDUCE AND PREVENT DIGITAL EYE STRAIN?
Relieving eye fatigue is as simple as taking regular breaks for your eyes each day and ensuring they get the exercise they need. Watch our Eye Health Video for some simple tips:
MORE TIPS ON AVOIDING EYE STRAIN:
OUR NEW RANGE OF LENSES
OPSM have developed a new range of lenses and lens coatings designed specifically for office workers. This includes our ‘Crizal Prevencia’ coating which helps reduce the harmful blue-light emitted by electronic devices. This can increase visual comfort for the wearer and reduce the impact of eye strain symptoms^^.
* Source: Milward Brown 2014 AdReaction Report
^ Source: Reddy SC et al. Computer Vision Syndrome: a study of knowledge and practices in university students. Nepal J Ophthalmol 2013;5(10):161-168. (found Prevalence 89.9)
^^ Source: Kudla, A, Barrau, C, Covec, C, Bouvier, L, 2013, White Paper Crizal Prevencia, Essilor